- We learn to listen to the beat, rhythm and tune in music
- We use voice as our main instrument, and we practice "in tune singing"
- We learn to read and write music
- We use French time names (ta and te te) to describe rhythm
- We use solfa names (doh, re, me) and hand signs to describe tune
- We learn to play musical instruments in small and large groups
- We use tuned instruments such as marimba, recorders and, ukuleles
- We use untuned percussion such as drums, tambourines and shakers
- We use our skills to read, write and perform our own compositions
- We learn drama and dance skills, which we use in performances
- We use Musical Futures methods to play and learn popular music
- We use "rock band" instruments such as drum kit, bass and guitar in upper grades
- We learn to use our listening skills and musical experience to make informed decisions in music.
- We experience playing marimba and xylophones, as well as many percussion instruments, and ukulele in grade prep to grade two
- We experience playing rock band instruments such as guitar, ukulele, drum kit, bass and vocals in grade 3 to grade 6
- We learn the conventions of playing in small and large groups
- We learn how to perform, when to start and stop, and how to be "real musicians"
- We learn about music through singing and playing using Musical Futures methods.
- We have a long tradition of choirs at Lara Lake Primary School
- Grade Prep to grade 2 can join our "JingleSing" singing group (Prep students are invited to join in second semester)
- Grade 3 to grade 6 can join "SingJam", a mixed instrumental and singing group
- Grade 6 students with a particular interest in music can audition to join "Supergroup"
- These groups usually meet once a week at lunch time or recess and perform at assemblies, at GPAC at the Geelong Schools Music Festival as well as in concerts and local festivals throughout the year.
Concerts and Special Events
- We have regular school concerts and performances. These vary in scale and provide the chance for students to participate at their own level, while encouraging them to further develop their confidence skills
- Some examples of performances: Upper school production of Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dream coat, The "Even bigger Sing" (Juniors), the Bush Cabaret (Whole school) and The Prep Concerts/Open Music class